Friday, October 24, 2008

Hockey blog (Midterm 1)

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Mark-Gage/So-How-We-Doing/102/17461
http://blogs.canucks.com/?p=135
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=16592

So as most of can guess, this blog is pertaining to hockey. Specifically the Vancouver Canucks, because, well, that's my home team. There has been so much pessimism and questions surrounding the team this offseason, and even in the beginning of the season that I feel like I should blog about it and set a few things straight--the way I see it of course--

There were so many questions coming into this offseason for the Canucks. The core of the team had been in tact for a good 6 or 7 years, and everyone knew that change was imminent.

Trevor Linden, the face of the franchise since I was literally 3 years old, retired shortly after last season ended. That's when I knew that this would no longer be the same team. Shortly after that our GM was fired, and that's when we began to "clean house" so to speak.

From the team I had watched for years, only 7 or 8 of the 20 man roster remained.

This is where the panic set in for the so called "fans". For months after all of this change, all I heard from fellow fans was "at least we'll be bad enough that we can get a top 5 draft pick".

What people don't understand is that change doesn't equal disaster. Yes we have an entirely different team, but rather than calling it a disaster I call it the beginning of a new chapter in Vancouver Canucks hockey. They are in the unique position to finally let the young guys step up and show what they can do, what's so disastrous about that?

In my opinion the Canucks went from a bunch of aging veterans, who's heart was no longer in the game or with the organization to a team full of young talented players with all the heart in the world, and what's better is that they are all out to prove that they belong.

It's 7 games into the new season and we hold a record of 3-4, yet already the panic button is being pressed yet again.

Vancouver is an amazing hockey town, and has a very respectable organization, I promise you that it is not their intention to put a losing team on the ice.

They are faster, younger, tougher, and they are out to prove themselves. So I say rather than pressing the panic button yet again, we sit back and enjoy a young, determined team out to prove themselves and see just how far they can take us fans.

1 comment:

Cayla said...

I like how you said "change doesn't equal disaster". It puts a whole new perspective on things. Good writing! I'm more of a sharks fan myself, but go hockey!